Top Five Ways To Stay Eating Healthily When Away On Holiday

Lots of us try to eat as healthily as possible in the lead-up to a summer vacation, whether to look good on the beach or to feel confident wearing shorts in the hot sunshine. 

However, healthy eating can often go out of the window as soon as you step off the plane. Here are some ideas on how you can stay on track, so you can carry on eating well and feeling great on holiday. 

Do self-catering

While there is definitely an appeal to having an all-inclusive holiday, as you don’t have to think about what meals to cook, what snacks to give the kids, or how many times a day your little ones will beg for an ice-cream, it can be easy to overeat when everything is always available. 

Booking a self-catering trip, on the other hand, means you are able to stay in control of your eating; you won’t be tempted to overfill your plate at the buffet; and you won’t be tempted by endless snacks or sugary cocktails. 

Don’t drink too much 

It can be easy to drink lots of calories when on holiday simply by having a glass or two of wine or beer a night. While you will want to enjoy yourself on your vacation, try to limit how much you drink. 

Simple Cravings Real Food author Vicki Shanta Retelny advises holidaymakers to opt for lighter options of their favourite alcoholic drink where possible. 

She suggests “wine spritzers, light beer and ‘skinny’ pina coladas with coconut water, splash of pineapple juice and lime juice or drinks over ice and not frozen concoctions where the calories can add up fast”. 

Have a treat every day 

It’s your holiday and you want to unwind, relax and not stress about food. That is why it is a good idea to tell yourself you can have one treat every day. This will allow you to enjoy something tasty without ending up overindulging in it. 

Dr Jessamy Hibberd, chartered clinical psychologist, told the British Heart Foundation: “Of course you’re going to have a treat, you’re on holiday. But it doesn’t have to be all the time.”

He recommends eating healthily 80 per cent of the time, and allowing yourself to enjoy ice-creams, croissants, and mojitos the other 20 per cent. 

Approach buffets smartly

Although it is easier to stay in control of your healthy eating if you cook for yourself, you can still watch your intake at buffets. 

A good tip is to use a small plate when approaching the buffet to avoid putting too much on it. Fill this with the foods you like the look of best, and start by eating the vegetables first. 

Try to eat slowly, so you’re not tempted to go up again for another plateful. It takes 20 minutes for your brain to recognise you’re full, so the quicker you finish your meal, the more you’re likely to eat. 

Be prepared 

If you are worried you won’t be able to find healthy choices as easily when abroad, you can always pack some of your favourites in your suitcase. 

Healthy foods, such as protein bars, dried fruit and nut mixes, and low-sugar cereals will survive the journey, and bringing them ensures you are getting some nutrients. 

While they can’t be packed into your hold luggage, you could bring some prepared meals and main courses in your backpack, so you know you’ve had a healthy dish on your journey at least.